meet the sojourners..


Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cheap Meal Tuesday

I've had so many requests for other "cheap meal" ideas that I've decided to make a theme of it.

This week's special: Rapatouille
(Aidan said to me while I was cooking, it looks like Rapatouille mom, you can be little chef! (Of course he meant Ratatouille) I don't know if I should take it as a compliment or insult that my son is comparing my culinary abilities to that of a rat?)
You'll need:
2 med-large zucchini
2 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. oregano leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (whichever you prefer, I use diced)
1 mini can Hunt's natural tomato sauce
1 package favorite source of protein. (I used ground turkey breasts, but you can use diced chicken, sausage, lean beef tips, etc..)

Precook your meat and set aside.

Wash the zucchini but do not peel. Slice about 1/4" thick. Mix together with all spices (NOT Olive Oil) and toss well. Heat oil in skillet, add zucchini and saute until brown on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add your meat back in, along with tomatoes and sauce, cook another 2-3 minutes.

Dinner is served! and the best part? It's nutritious, delicious, LOW CARB and under $10!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definetely printing this one out and trying it. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete