meet the sojourners..

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Labor Day Extravaganza - Day 1

Ah.... it was splendid. 5 whole days together and it went by way too quickly! We got a later start on Thursday then we planned and didn't arrive at the campground until dinner time. Darren and the boys worked on putting the tent together and then Darren pulled out the stove we borrowed from some friends. I had precooked all of our food the night before, so we had plenty of choices. We settled on barbecue muffins and Darren set to work on reheating them. Soooooooooo yummy! After dinner the boys went exploring the site and surrounding sites (it was pretty much just us Thursday night) for firewood and s'more skewers. They each had there own flashlight and thought shining it all around was great fun! They hollered and squealed and took great pleasure in being boys. We had s'more's and as always the boys weren't interested in the classic s'more and ate their s'mores uncooked and in separate courses. When we finished our snack we headed to the tent and watched a movie on Darren's work laptop, played with etch a sketch's and the boys wrestled with Darren. Then it happened... out of the blue Darren whacked my leg with the palm of his hand! Startled, I asked him what he did that for? His reply? "Something was crawling on you that shouldn't have been." Hmph! My response to that, "Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!!!!!!!!!!" and I pretty much leaped from where I was and in one smooth (or not) motion I was up and behind Darren who had been on the other end of the tent. The boys and Darren thought this was extremely entertaining and Darren (who was NOT playing his role of knight in shining armor very well) just laid there staring at me.... and laughing. Great. Thanks honey. Once he finally got it together he wanted to know what the problem was. Was he kidding? There was a spider, A BIG spider somewhere loose in our tent, it had been crawling on MY leg and he thought I'd just lay down and go back to sleep. Um... no. So, I left the tent. Yes, it's true. I was a total party pooper, I know-lame.

So, Aidan, cause he's a mama's boy left with me and we went to sleep in the van. Problem with sleeping in the van? It was incredibly stuffy and I couldn't get comfortable. Great. Aidan was out in a matter of seconds. An hour passed, then another, and my prince charming hadn't even come to check on me. Hmph! No kisses for that frog in the morning. What's this? ooooh it's a flashlight! Hehehehe.... So with my new found toy I started flashing the light right into the tent hoping to wake up my husband and make him "suffer" with me. Yes, I am pure evil. FINALLY like after 30 minutes of this he starts flashing his flashlight back at me... Grr... not what I wanted. I wanted him to get out of the tent. Eventually I sort of whisper screamed at him to come to the van. I don't think he heard me. After what felt like another hour I heard some noise and shifting around the tent and he emerged. "I found the spider" he said. "Yea right, nice try" I replied. "Hmm, I'll stick with the van" I said. We talked for a while, and then about midnight after promising he really DID kill the spider and he wasn't just saying that to get me back in the tent I succumbed to the temptation of an air mattress, and slept just fine.

Enjoy the slide show from our first night.

No comments:

Post a Comment